Are you looking for some general feedback about your book? Consider a critique.
Who it’s for:
Any author looking for an unbiased opinion of their book or an opportunity to improve their finished manuscript.
What it is:
An in-depth, multi-page review of your book. Critiques are designed to do three things:
- Give you an impartial, thorough response to your work,
- Highlight the book’s strengths and weaknesses, and
- Offer suggestions for improvement.
How it helps:
If you’ve been working on a project for a long time, it’s likely that you’re too close to see what’s really going on. A critique will help you identify and correct issues within your current manuscript, allowing you to put your best foot forward when you share your work with the world. Critiques also combine well with other in-text editing packages, and are included in the comprehensive editing package and VIP editing package.
What I look for:
I’ll give you big-picture feedback on large-scale story and narrative elements and provide suggestions for shoring up any weaknesses I perceive. If you’d like, you can check out my list of editorial considerations. Keep in mind–I’ll provide only information that’s useful to you and your project. That may include information that’s not on the list.
How it works:
- You send over your complete manuscript and a list of any particular questions or concerns you have about your work.
- I read your book.
- I write up several pages of my thoughts and suggestions, respond to your questions, and give you any other feedback that might be useful.
Easy peasy! Better books in a nutshell!
Most critique-only editorial reviews take about a week from payment to delivery, depending on my schedule.
What you’ll get:
- Respectful, well-intentioned delivery of my thoughts and constructive criticism. Writing is hard work, and I’m not going to make it harder by being mean. (See my no-tears philosophy here.)
- At least one page of single-spaced, written feedback per 15,000 words of text. Most critiques are 5-7 pages in length.
- My editorial concerns and a suggested method for implementation.
- Thirty minutes of consulting via video, phone, or chat to discuss my responses, my feedback, or, really, anything you want. (Additional time can be added for $50.00/hour)
- Occasionally, grammar puns, silly examples, or other language-related jokes. These are my gift to you.
The critique starts at $650 for the average book (70,000 – 110,000 words).
Contact me for an estimate on your book!